The place to start your next trip!






One of the first thinRegistrationgs you should do is register your departure from Canada with the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. This will allow you to stay connected to Canada in case of an emergency abroad, such as an earthquake or civil unrest, or an emergency at home. Similar Programs exist in many other counties.


You’ll need to register your personal information, passport number, gender, date of birth, destination, departure and return dates, emergency phone number, email address, person to contact and other relevant information. Go and register it is easy and take only a few minutes. Go to the website.


Registration Typing


The information you provide may be used by Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada or a third party, when necessary, to contact, protect and assist you and your co-travellers in case of an emergency. Unless otherwise notified by you or a family member, Consular Services will consider your trip completed on the return date specified in your registration.



All personal information on registrants and their co-travellers will be destroyed 18 months after the registrant has returned to Canada, based on the return date indicated in the registrant’s latest trip information. If during these 18 months a new trip is registered, a new date for the destruction of personal information will be set based on the new return date.


Not that many people are ware of this service offer by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada. The Registration of Canadians Abroad is a service intended for Canadian citizens. This service is offered at no charge to all eligible person and it can be done on-line or in person at Canadian Government Office abroad.


The government of Canada have also put in place a few agreements to provide assistance and support to Australian, Israeli and Jamaican citizens in certain geographical location. Persons with these nationalities should verify with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development to get the list of the countries and cities covered by these agreements.


If you are not an Australian, Israeli or Jamaican contact your country’s nearest consular office to determine if it has a similar registration program in place


Before you leave, make sure to provide a copy of your passports, visas, itinerary as well as hotel and flight information to a trusted person close to you. This person doesn’t have to be the same person you indicated as the individual to contact in case of emergency. However, if there are two different individuals involved, the two should know how to contact each other.



Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *